Sumitomo Chemical is one of the leaders in the development of vector control products. Olyset® Net was the first World Health Organization recommended Long-Lasting Insecticide Net that helped revolutionize the global fight against malaria. More recently, SumiShield® 50WG became the first vector control product listed by WHO under the new Prequalification (PQ) system and contains the first WHO PQ listed new mode of action chemistry for Indoor Residual Spraying in over 40 years.
Sumitomo Chemical was established in 1913 and by 2013 the Sumitomo Chemical Group included over 150 subsidiaries and affiliates, operating businesses in five sectors – basic chemicals, petrochemicals, IT-related chemicals, health & crop sciences and pharmaceuticals.
Sumitomo Chemical contributes to solving problems facing the global community in areas such as resources, energy, food and the environment, to help meet pressing global challenges — such as improving people’s health and living standards and increasing food security — by making the best use of the power of chemistry. Through its endeavours, the company hopes to play a significant role in building a sustainable and healthy society.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Technical Manager will be responsible for:
- Working with Universities, Institutions, co-operators and organisations as a point of contact and representative for SCCs vector control business. Such organisations to include the World Health Organisation, IVCC, PMI, BMGF, UNITAID, etc. to plan, establish and monitor lab and field trials of new and existing products and usage/promotion of these products.
- Reviewing and editing trial protocols from contractors and collaborators to ensure a quality trial follows.
- Reviewing scientific reports and publications to ensure correct reporting on SCC product evaluations whether initiated by SCC or independent studies.
- Supporting the development, planning and implementation of the business and product development strategies.
- Maintaining awareness and knowledge of vector control market and competitor activities so SCC strategies can be adjusted accordingly.
- Maintaining a current knowledge of new scientific work and publications on vector control.
- Presenting and promoting products and data in technical journals, conferences and tradeshows.
- To support collaboration on vector control products and projects within SCC group companies.
- Supporting the businesses promotional strategy.
- Providing technical support to sales and marketing teams (includes writing technical content for promotional material and engaging in country based stakeholder promotional meetings).
- Supporting liaison with regulatory bodies including WHO, country-based NMCPs and MOH, regulatory and relevant officials to expedite PQ listing and in country registration.
The Technical Manager should have:
- A minimum of 5 years’ laboratory and field experience of working with vector control products, preferably with experience in project management.
- Can be from a commercial or academic background but must have an ability and desire to engage in commercial activities.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree (ideally in entomology or public health).
- A good understanding of the regulatory environment.
- Good communication and verbal presentation skills, leadership qualities and networking ability in the public health community.
- The proven ability to develop and maintain partnerships and alliances.
- Ability to speak English fluently and preferably French to a good level.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
Experience of working in a commercial environmental is preferred. The position requires travel overseas for up to 30% of the time.
How to apply
Applications, together with a cover letter, will be sent to email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships. Company will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying for this position!