Episode XVIII: Wednesday, March 24th 2021; starting 2pm East African Time
Ifakara MasterClasses in Public Health & Medical Entomology
Hosted by Fredros Okumu (Ifakara Health Institute & Sheila Ogoma (CHAI)
- What are gene drives [and how different are they compared to other genetic engineering approaches]?
- What makes gene drives attractive for malaria control & elimination [evidence from labs & models]?
- What are the pathways for testing and deployment of gene drive mosquitoes for malaria control?
- What are the main limitations & challenges of gene drive technologies for malaria control?
- Cangene drives be contained? Can they be recalled? What is the worst that can happen?
- Will gene drives work in all major malaria vector species in Africa?
- How would we regulate gene drives [safety, ethics,biodiversity and public opinions]?
- How do we build relevant capabilities and experiences in Africa to advance or regulate the technology?
- What do the people in malaria-endemic say?
- How would we use gene drives alongside other malaria control approaches such as ITNs and IRS?
Meeting ID: 882 3149 2896