To strengthen competences of actors involved in the fight against malaria in endemic countries.
- Building capacity by reinforcing knowledge and expertise of persons involved in the care of patients, in control programmes or in research activities in the field of malaria.
- To develop competence in self‐ and e‐learning. At the end of the course, the participants should be able to manage malaria issues more effectively and to develop basic training courses and material in their home institutions.
The course is organised by the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland (Swiss TPH) and the Ifakara Health Institute (IHI), Bagamoyo Branch, Tanzania, with support by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, University Hospital of Vaud and Barcelona Institute for Global Health. The course will take place in Bagamoyo, Tanzania which has the computer facilities to run an internet‐based course.
Participants will strengthen their capacity to learn by themselves using new communication technologies. They will engage in active learning‐teaching exercises, group discussions and informal exchange with peers. They will be supported by national and international expert tutors. The course will be organized into 4 weekly modules and will rely on specialized tutors that will rotate every week to assist participants in their self‐learning.
- 1st week: September 25‐29. Topics: Informatics & Internet search – Literature search – Interventions on vectors – Insectary visit
- 2nd week: October 2‐6. Topics: Malaria parasites – Immunology – Vaccines – Laboratory tour
- 3rd week: October 9‐13. Topic: Clinical features – Diagnosis – Drugs, Treatment & Pregnancy – Non‐malaria fevers – Hospital visit
- 4th week: October 16‐20. Topic: Surveillance – Modelling ‐ Health economics – Elimination
The course will be taught in English.
International and national experts from endemic and non‐endemic countries selected for their area of expertise, teaching skills and willingness to be deeply involved in the learning process.
This course is designed for individuals involved in malaria research or malaria control and elimination (health personnel, scientists and researchers, public health specialists and malaria control administrators). 16 participants from malaria‐affected countries will be selected according to their profile, professional status, letter of motivation and recommendations. The minimum requirement is a BSc or Master degree, several years of professional experience and basic computer skills.
Costs of the course
Registration fee is USD 500 per participant. Travel, accommodation and catering expenses will be sponsored by the organisers. Health insurance is at the expense of the participants. No per diem will be distributed.
Course coordinator: Prof. Blaise Genton (Swiss TPH)
Course organizer: Dr Konstantina Boutsika (Swiss TPH)
On‐site logistics: Mr Kafuruki Shubis (IHI)
The applications will be evaluated by a Selection Committee composed of members of Swiss TPH and IHI.
The application package shall include:
- the complete application form, available on https://www.swisstph.ch/mctz2017/
- curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation, maximum 1 page
- recommendation letter from the person in charge of the applicant’s employer confirming the availability of the applicant and the importance of the training for the applicant and the home institution.
The application package should be sent by email latest by June 30, 2017 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please contact:
Dr Konstantina Boutsika
T: +41 61 284 81 42