Job Title: PhD. Principal Scientist, Malaria transmission blocking
Department: Parasitology and Cell Biology department, Malaria DPU, Tres Cantos Medicine Development Campus
Reporting to: Manager Parasitology and Cell Biology, Malaria DPU
Staff Managed: 3 people
Location: Tres Cantos, Madrid, Spain
Application deadline: open until filled
GlaxoSmithkline Medicine Develoment Campus is an innovative centre based in Tres Cantos (Spain) formed by three discovery units specialized in research into Malaria, Tuberculosis and Kinetoplastid diseases. In addition to that, the OPEN LAB initiatitve, designed to provide researchers from around the world to come to work in collaboration with GSK scientists, is based in Tres Cantos. Our centre encompasses the focus and agility of Discovery Units with the benefits of big pharma support to speed research in major neglected diseases with high impact in public health worldwide. We work closely in public-private partnerships, with groups such as the Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV), the Global Alliance for TB drug Development (TB Alliance), the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Academia, NGOs and official bodies across the world.
We now have an opportunity for a Biologist to join the Malaria discovery Unit. In this role your key responsibility will be to provide scientific and technical leadership in transmission blocking in vitro methods.
Summary of role: The design of mosquito facilities with appropriate equipment to support the following:
• The breeding and maintenance of Anopheles mosquito colonies
• The development of new experimental tools to evaluate transmission blocking at an industry standard level of antimalarial drug discovery.
• Implement standardized protocols for rearing Anopheles mosquito colonies
• Design, develop and validate in vitro assays to investigate the effect of lead compounds on the viability of gametocytes and mosquito stages
• Accountable for the training and coordination of groups of junior scientists working on the execution of transmission blocking experiments
• Accountable for the quality of results, proper report and storage according to Data Integrity practices.
• Represent the Parasitology and Cell Biology Unit on research program teams.
• Ensure all practices in the insectary comply with health and safety directives
• Build and maintain well functioning interfaces with other teams within GSK R&D and manage external collaborations.
• PhD degree or equivalent in Biology or related discipline with more than 5 years of research experience.
• Experience and expertise in Anopheles mosquitos breeding
• Detailed understanding and awareness of the latest methodologies and technologies in P.falciparum gametocyte culture
• To be able to successfully operate in a matrix environment, working across functions/disciplines and countries.
• Successful track record in academic publications
• Strong scientific and influencing skills, with ability to work in collaboration with Academic partners and relevant GSK business partners
- Experience in malaria transmission techniques (standard membrane-feeding assay)
- Understanding of the drug discovery process.
Application: Please respond by e-mail to Esperanza Herreros (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a statement of interest and career objectives, CV, and names with contact information for three references.
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying for this position.