Location: Madrid, Spain
Temporary Position: 1-year Contract
GlaxoSmithkline Medicine Development Campus is an innovative centre based in Tres Cantos (Spain) formed by three discovery units specialized in research into Malaria, Tuberculosis and Kinetoplastid diseases. In addition to that, the OPEN LAB initiative, designed to provide researchers from around the world to come to work in collaboration with GSK scientists, is based in Tres Cantos. Our centre encompasses the focus and agility of Discovery Units with the benefits of big pharma support to speed research in major neglected diseases with high impact in public health worldwide. Work on those diseases allows us to foster an open, pre-competitive research environment based on partnerships and external collaborations with Academia, Industry, NGOs and official bodies across the world. Our Centre is formed by a passionate group of scientists, including chemists, biologists and pharmacologists, in first-class facilities. We now have an opportunity for a Biologist to join the Malaria discovery Unit. Scientists will benefit from the network of external collaborations with key opinion leaders. Finally, they will enjoy and reinforce a dynamic group of scientists and ultimately help to produce a major impact on healthcare in the developing world.
- Implement standardized protocols for P. falciparum in vitro work.
- Support Molecular Biology work and Mode of Action studies.
- Perform experiments to demonstrate the activity of new antimalarial molecules.
- Compliance with safety regulations, ensure clean and safe environmental working conditions, infrastructure improvements and maintenance and Good Laboratory Practices.
- Accountable for quality of results, proper report and data storage.
- Degree or equivalent in Biology (Cell Biology/Microbiology/Parasitology) or related discipline.
- Three years of experience in a scientific role.
- Experience working with Plasmodium falciparum cultures.
- Experience in Molecular Biology techniques (PCR, cloning, southern, western, sequencing).
- Independence, pro-activity, problem-solving capabilities and the ability to work in a team environment.
- To be able to successfully operate in a matrix environment, working across functions and disciplines.
- Strong communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Experience working in BSL3 facilities.
- License for working with radioactivity.
If you are interested please send your CV to: email@example.com
with the Subject: GSK-PMBS-MalariaWorld (MalariaWorld)
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying for this job!