Organization: National Institute for Medical Research
Location: Amani Medical Research Centre, Muheza, Tanzania
Closing date for applications: 5 April 2013
We are seeking to appoint a full time local Tanzanian Project Manager (Malaria Control Research) to coordinate and manage a research trial on the Efficacy of Insecticide-Treated Durable Wall Liners as a Method for Malaria Control in North-eastern Tanzania in collaboration with National and International Research Institutions, National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP), and US Agency for International Development (USAID).
The successful applicant will be a Tanzanian nation with:
- PhD or MSc with several years’ field experience in medical entomology, parasitology or epidemiology, specialising in the control of mosquito vectors
- Knowledge of chemical control of vectors, vector ecology and behaviour, malaria control epidemiology, study design, data management and statistical methods.
- Previous experience in:
- Field entomology
- Field trials
- Data management and programming
- Research project management and supervision of entomological and parasitological research teams.
- Working with national and international organisations
- Working in a multi-disciplinary programmes
- Technical, financial reporting and writing skills and a strong publication track record.
Ability to communicate with representatives of associated organisations including control project managers and operatives, scientists, administrators, technicians and private sectors is a compulsory requirement. The successful applicant will receive an attractive remuneration package.
Post: Manager USAID Malaria Control Research Project, Tanzania
Responsible to: Director, Amani Medical Research Centre, Muheza, Tanzania
Start date: 1 May 2013
Hours of work: Full time
Main duties and responsibilities:
To coordinate and supervise a malaria control trial in North-Eastern Tanzania in collaboration with Pan-African Malaria Research Consortium – PAMVERC (National Institute for Medical Research, Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine), US Agency for International Development and National Malaria Control Programme.
To coordinate and manage the following:
- Coordination with stakeholders including USAID, NMCP, research institutions
- Liaise with international and national technical specialists and manage their participation
- Establish and manage a field research team in field epidemiology, medical entomology, parasitology and socio-economics
- Select trial villages and conduct demographic census.
- Conduct baseline community pre-intervention entomological, parasitological and socio-economic surveys.
- Monitor implementation of interventions.
- Train and supervise community health workers
- Co-ordinate passive and active case reporting
- Liaise with local health facilities to obtain case records relating to trial villages
- Follow up surveys (entomological, parasitological, socio-economic) at scheduled intervals in the intervention year
- Data entry and analysis
- Draft technical reports and publications
SALARY AND CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT: The post is for 3 years and is available from 1st April 2013. Salary $43,000 per annum plus terminal benefit of 25% of salary throughout the project period. The successful applicant will receive an attractive pensionable remuneration package. Annual leave entitlement is 28 working days per year.
MODE OF APPLICATION: Applications should be addressed to the Director, National Institute for Medical Research, Amani Research Centre, P. Box 81 MUHEZA, Tanzania. Applications can also be made through e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. The e-mail subject should read TRAction-ITWL. Closing date for applications is 5 April 2013. Applications should also include a CV and the names and contact details (email & Telephone numbers) of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted.
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying for this job!