Job Title: Malaria & Child Survival Technical Advisor
Company Name: Population Services International
Location: Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Company Name: Population Services International
Location: Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to the Country Representative, PSI - Cambodia
Who we are
We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
For over 25 year, PSI Cambodia, and its independent network member Population Services Khmer (PSK) have worked to harness the power of the private sector to improve the health of the poor and vulnerable. From social marketing campaigns for Number One condoms, supporting the Royal Government of Cambodia's (RGC) 100 percent Condom Use Program, to the development and scale up of the Sun Quality Health Network across the country that offers a full range of reproductive health services, this organization is on the cutting edge of health innovation and impact. Health programming now includes HIV prevention, reproductive health and family planning, and child survival (diarrhea prevention and treatment and pneumonia treatment), as well as a very high profile malaria program.
The Cambodian National Malaria Control Program, CNM, has just launched its Malaria Elimination Action Framework, targeting nationwide malaria elimination by 2025. Through a mix of targeted and phased interventions, Cambodia and its partners will race to eliminate malaria in Cambodia and across the Greater Mekong Subregion, in light of the increasing threat of malaria drug resistance. And PSK and YOU have a key role to play!
PSI Cambodia's Malaria & CS Technical Advisor is responsible for leading technical and overall management efforts of PSI's rapidly expanding portfolio of malaria and child survival programs. Current projects include a cutting edge research program to examine drug resistance and elimination strategies in plantation workers; provision of early diagnostic and treatment services; a quality assurance program to improve malaria case management in the Cambodian private sector. Additional funding has recently been awarded for an essential bed net preference survey, which will be used to inform national procurement decisions, and supplemental funding will focus on the integration of health areas (malaria, early childhood illness, nutrition, reproductive health) and surveillance, using a newly developed application for real-time case detection and reporting. The TA is also responsible for providing support to Child Survival activities focusing on case management of acute respiratory infection and diarrhoea in children under five; as well as exciting new product development. The MCS TA may also be involved in exploring needs and potential for funding in other areas, such as sanitation and nutrition.
We are looking for a Malaria & Child Survival Technical Advisor to help us build capacity of PSK staff and to lend technical expertise to one of PSI's most complex and diversified Malaria programs. The MCS Technical Advisor is required to demonstrate strategic thinking in a fast moving and changing epidemiological and political context. He/she is required to guide the program through new territory for PSI as Cambodia moves towards elimination and must be cognizant of several parallel large-scale initiatives at play. Maintaining strong partnerships with the national program and a seat at the table with the key donors and in-country partners remains critical. The Technical Advisor also offers guidance and assistance in the following areas: program management, marketing and communications, sales and distribution, financial management, human resource management, administration and logistics, and program evaluation.
Sound like you? Read on.
Technical programmatic guidance - Strategic Planning - Marketing
- Provide guidance in development, implementation and management of evidence-based programming (in malaria, child survival and fledgling sanitation/TMA initiatives) that is in line with organizational best practices, national health plans, and platform strategic plans;
- Coordinate with appropriate PSI headquarters technical departments or regional teams to ensure that program activities follow best practices;
- Remain up-to-date and informed on global innovations and technical developments related to malaria, child survival and sanitation, and relay that information to the program teams and Senior Management Team;
- Provide support to strategic initiatives within PSK, such as the integrated service delivery initiative;
- Participate in the development of annual marketing plans and work plans;
- Lead efforts to explore potential for expansion into new health areas such as WASH and nutrition.
- Play supporting role in representing PSI/Cambodia with stakeholders, including NGO, multilaterals, donors and the Government at national, regional and global level;
- Liaise with government officials, partners, and donors;
- Participate actively in partner meetings, working groups and other coordinating bodies;
- Represent PSI/Cambodia at key strategic international engagements, serving as an advocate for PSI malaria programming and elimination efforts.
- Support budget development and financial tracking of budgets with ASRs and monthly reviews;
- Support procurement of commodities, technical specifications, packaging, equipment, and other items in compliance with multiple-donor and organizational regulations;
- Ensure that relevant projects are contractually compliant, including meeting all reporting requirements and donor deliverables.
Capacity Building and Institutional Development
- Supports the PSK team in program management, budget management, reporting and compliance;
- Strengthen the staff capacity to independently implement, manage, and improve business practices and technical services;
- Work closely with team leaders to ensure the execution of relevant project deliverables;
- Continuously assess progress of teams and individuals, adjusting technical inputs based on the needs required to meet organizational and individual objectives;
- Facilitate training sessions for staff in program and support departments;
- Establish systems and procedures that enhance project management and planning at the program department and provincial office level, improve accountability and deliver results.
Research & M&E
- Review research conducted in support of programs and assist platform to increase health impact and efficiency;
- Guide research decision/support the Research team.
- Support the regional/global Malaria team in elimination strategy development, fundraising and advocacy and sharing of best practices/lessons learned from the region;
- Seek out new funding opportunities and lead or contribute to proposals.
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 6 years of experience managing people, budgets and public health programs.
- You have an MPH, MD, MSc or other relevant public health degree.
- You have significant malaria and child survival experience.
- You have lived and worked in developing countries, South East Asian experience desirable.
- You have experience and are passionate in building local technical, management and leadership capacity.
- You are fluent in English.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence stakeholders.
- References will be required.
What would get us excited?
Hard Core Malaria Expert. You have worked in either a malaria control or elimination setting, and understand the complexities of program implementation, from prevention to treatment, and surveillance.
Capacity Builder. You have worked hand-in-hand with local governments, local partners, and critically, have been a part of a local team. You have offered technical support and guidance respectfully, and toward a shared mission.
Natural fundraiser. You have experience identifying business opportunities for health or securing funds from donors like USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Global Fund.
Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision for the PSK staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, thrive and enjoy their work.
A connector. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care companies, or global health donors. You are able to identify new donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Cambodia.
A Strategist and an Innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
- Level 6
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/vzmkwhrk4n
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when you apply for this job!