Position ID: FY2010-26
Hours: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Cotonou, Benin
About University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, University Research Co, LLC (URC), along with its non-profit affiliate Center for Human Services (CHS), is a leader in public health consulting. Established in 1965, our work spans over 30 countries around the globe. URC’s mission is to improve the quality of and access to health, education, and social services here in the United States and in developing countries around the world.
URC has expertise in helping create environments where communities, health providers, educators, managers, and stakeholders can make lasting and positive changes in people’s lives. Current key clients include the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Global Fund, the Gates Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education (ED), the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and National Institutes of Health (NIH). Explore career opportunities with URC-CHS at urc-chs.com (http://www.urc-chs.com/careers/career.htm).
University Research Co, LLC is implementing a USAID-funded program in Benin, West Africa. An important component of the program focuses on improving malaria mortality and morbidity. Specific objectives include improvement of malaria case management, improved intermittent preventive treatment for pregnant women, supply chain management, and monitoring and evaluation.
The Malaria Advisor will lead technical assistance to the Ministry of Health at the national, regional and local levels to strengthen overall capacity of the Ministry in the implementation of improved malaria programming and monitoring. Further, the malaria coordinator will liaise with the MOH at the central level to ensure a high profile for USAID’s malaria activities and assist the MOH staff to translate project experience, the latest science and international State of the Art into policies, norms and protocols to be adopted by the MOH. The position is based in Cotonou, Benin.
Specific activities include:
- Assist Ministry with the improvement of malaria case management for simple and severe malaria in public and private health facilities
- Strengthen supervision of health workers to ensure compliance with diagnosis and treatment norms for malaria
- Facilitate adoption by the MOH of USAID-developed tools and methods related to malaria prevention, diagnosis, including appropriate use of Rapid Diagnostic Tests (RDTs) and treatment in pregnant women and children under 5, and monitoring and evaluation of results
- Work with BCC advisor and community mobilization specialist to support increased role of NGOs and CBOs in malaria prevention (especially ITN promotion and increased use of Intermittent Preventive Therapy in pregnancy) and treatment, and in support of community-based diagnosis and treatment and recognition of danger signs/referral
- Support improve monitoring and evaluation of performance data particularly at the national level
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Trained public health professional with strong project level experience in managing disease control projects in Africa
- MD, MPH or other post-graduate degree
- Minimum of five years experience working in malaria and knowledge of latest evidence and practices in malaria prevention, diagnosis and treatment at clinical and community levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge of donor policies and funding for malaria
- Proven teamwork and communication skills
- Fluency in French and English required
- Familiarity with USAID desired
For immediate consideration, please apply by clicking on the link below:
Due to the large number of resumes received, we will only be able to respond to those whose background appears to be a possible fit. However, unless you direct us otherwise, we may wish to retain your resume against other future opportunities. Thank you for your interest in URC.
URC is an E-Verify Employer
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when you apply for this job