The Malaria Eradication Scientific Alliance (MESA) is an inclusive and collaborative consortium of
malaria research, policy, and implementation partners dedicated to advancing the science of
malaria eradication. First launched in 2012 with the support of the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation (BMGF), MESA is based on the concept that an optimized, funded, and evolving
malaria elimination and eradication research agenda is critical for global eradication. The Alliance
is hosted by the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal), and focused on developing
innovative, strategic, and evidence-based solutions for countries and regions to eliminate malaria.
ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic
institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the
challenges in global health.
The MESA Coordinator is responsible for the overall achievement of the MESA Programme goals
and objectives. The Coordinator will lead the MESA Secretariat, based in Barcelona.
Main duties and tasks:
- Lead the overall Programme management and coordination:
- Achievement of Programme outputs according to planned objectives;
- Identification of opportunities and synergies with stakeholders to strengthen the Programme;
- Responsible for managing problems and bottlenecks.
- Responsible for overall financial management.
- Lead the Secretariat, including defining ToRs, appointment, workplans, professional reviews and professional development.
- With the Programme Governing Bodies, define the programme’s strategic direction and goals.
- Lead the conceptualization and development of:
- Programme architecture and governance;
- Implementation plans;
- Knowledge management tools.
- Responsible for grant applications.
- Represent and promote the Programme at international fora and meetings.
- Actively seek to build strategic alliances with relevant stakeholders.
- Responsible for approving ToRs and appointment of contractors and sub-grantees.
- Synergize with ISGlobal’s strategic goals and activities, including through the Malaria Elimination Initiative, the Communications, and the Education and Training departments.
- Responsible for progress and financial reports to the funder.
- Responsible for reporting on progress against Action Plan to ISGlobal.
- Reports to the Director of the Malaria Elimination Initiative of ISGlobal.
Training and experience:
- MSc or PhD in a relevant field (i.e. malaria, global health, science, management)
- Experience in developing and managing strong partnerships and relationships inside and outside the organization
- Ability to lead, inspire, and collaborate with a small energetic team and with a diverse group of external stakeholders
- Works with diplomacy and efficiency
- Strong work ethic, and ability to prioritize, focus and achieve results
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Availability to travel 25%
- Experience in Malaria, Knowledge Management, Implementation Science, and Alliance Management will be highly valued
- Fluent written and spoken Spanish
- Temporary contract
- According to internal scales and based on experience.
How to apply:
Applicants must send a CV and a cover letter and passport copy by email to email@example.com, with the subject heading MESA Coordinator. The closing date for the receipt of applications is 17:00 CEST on 21 August 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings, religion or sexual orientation."In accordance with articles 5 and 6 of Law 15/1999 on personal data protection, we inform you that your personal data will be incorporated into a Human Resources file, for which the Private Foundation Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is responsible. If you do not inform us otherwise, ISGlobal will understand that you have consented to the processing of your data. Your information will not be disclosed to individuals or legal public or private entities without your consent unless authorized by law. You can exercise your rights to access, rectify, cancel and oppose the use of your personal information by contacting ISGlobal by post at C/Rosselló, 132, 5è 2a and 7è, 08036 - Barcelona or by email at info@isglobal.
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying fro this position!