Organisation: Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Duration: 4 to 6 months
Apply: before Sunday December 2 2012
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work. The Dutch organisation ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen’ (MSF-Holland) is a member of the international organisation ‘Médecins Sans Frontières’.
MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) currently operates medical humanitarian interventions in 25 countries. On a yearly basis MSF-Holland deploys approximately 900 international staff and employs 6,100 national staff. At headquarters in Amsterdam, around 180 employees offer their support to the projects.
Per immediate effect we are looking for an Entomologist for a Malaria Study in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 4 to 6 months.
LOCATIONS FOR STUDY IMPLEMENTATION:
DRC North Kivu – Kashuga and Kalembe
• Through field assessment, trapping and analysis (morphologically) identify down to sub-species level the main vector responsible for the transmission of malaria in the areas studied,
• Collection of a suitable sample of the identified vector for transport to a lab for identification down to sub-species level, presence/absence of knockdown resistance gene (kdr) and enumeration of circum-sporozoite infection rate,
• Establish whether or not this vector displays resistance to the family of chemicals (pyrethoid) used in LLINs and IRS and others that not currently being used,
• Establish the residual insecticidal level of the bednets (LNs) distributed and used in the communities.
GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF THE POST:
• To organise, design, implement and report on all aspects of the study,
• Analyse the results of the study, present results and give recommendations.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POST
• Qualified Entomologist with field experience prepared to travel and work in a challenging context,
• A reasonable level of French, both spoken and written, is desired,
• Proven research and reporting skills.
WE ARE OFFERING
A Specialist hybrid contract in field scale B with a gross salary of a minimum € 1,446.60 and
€ 3,282 maximum depending on relevant professional work experience, for a full-time appointment for the specified period. The report writing will be done in Amsterdam, The Netherlands in our HQ, a stimulating, professional working environment in an international organisation.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
If you would like additional information regarding this Entomologist position, please contact Jean-Francois Fesselet (Coordinator Water & Sanitation) phone + 31 (0)20 520 8770.
For the full job description see attachment: "Full job description" or visit our website.
If you’re interested in this Entomologist position and believe that you fit the profile and meet the requirements, please send your application letter in English or French with your CV before Sunday December 2 to email@example.com mentioning “Entomologist” for the attention of Ms Jaline Wijkhuizen (Personnel Officer HQ). Please also mention where you read about this vacancy.
For more information
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying for this job.